A stay at home mom
trying to find new crafts, sewing projects, recipes, and fashion ideas to try out and share.
If you have anything you'd especially like to see or ideas to share feel free to contact me :)

Sunday, September 4, 2011

No Sew Tutu (Well maybe a little)

Disclaimer: I sewed a tiny bit. I know. It's like breaking the rules of the no sew tutu. 






These tutu's are sooooo darling. My sweet little niece turned 4 and she loves dress up so I thought this would be perfect. I love them on babies too, but due the fact that I only have little boys around I figured it'd be best if I just made one for my niece.

Sites I used:
1: No Sew Tutu Tutorial  This is a video which was very helpful for the cutting part. I first followed the site below for everything, but their way of cutting is too time consuming. This is the only thing I got from this video.

2: Cut Out and Keep: Tutu Tutorial  This site is where I got the material list, measurements for tulle and the elastic band (the no sew uses a ribbon vs. the band. that is the main difference between the two), and how to tie on the tulle. Very simple.

What I Did:


Step 1: Materials
6 yards of tulle (I used two different colors so I got 3 yards in each but you can play around with that)
1/2 Elastic Band
Thread
Needle
Scissors

Step 2: Cut your tulle
I cut the strips so they were 6 inches in width and followed the video (the first link) on how to cut it even though the video says 3 inches. Width for the tulle is truly based on what you prefer. I wanted more of a ballerina look so I did it thicker. I started out with the second link for cutting and it was very time consuming when it didn't need to be.

Step 3: Tie on your tulle
It's hard to explain this step without pictures and the second site does it perfectly. I took 3 strips, 2 of one color 1 of the other and looped it over the band. The you take the bottom and wrap it around the back of the band. LIKE I SAID A LOT EASIER TO UNDERSTAND WITH PICTURES. REFER TO SITE 2. I switched back and forth between which colors I had two of and which one I had one of which you can see below.


Step 4: Sew the band together
I just hand sewed the band together. It only took a few stitches. Very simple. I prefer the band just because I think it brought it together cuter for the "ballerina tutu". The absolutely no sew version uses ribbon. Just whatever you prefer. I think the ribbon would be cute if you were doing more of a "fairy tutu", but that's just me.

Step 5: Cover-up the band 
Just push the knots around the band and even out the loops they are all about the same size.


Step 6: Try it out
My sweet niece was already dressed up in her princess dress, but she said she would try it out over her dress. What a doll.



happy birthday Evelyn dear! happy birthday to you!

feel free to leave a comment if you have questions. stick to the two links and you will be fine! :)




thank-you kati hansen for the idea :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! It's still coming together and I really should work on my diaper cake one.

    ReplyDelete